At South Lake we follow Wokingham Borough's guidance on school attendance:
The better your child’s attendance the better they should do educationally. Research shows that children who attend school regularly are likely to be more successful.
General guidance -:
- Make yourself aware of school attendance policy, rules and routines
- Get into a routine of daily school attendance as soon as your child starts school
- Be on time for morning registration
- Inform school on the 1st day of any illness
- Whenever possible arrange dentist and non-urgent medical appointments outside school times
- Show an interest in your child’s work and maintain contact with school
- Speak to school in the first instance if you or your child have any concerns about school
- Request permission in advance from school if you have an exceptional reason for an absence.
- For older pupils at secondary school check attendance with school and know where they are in case there is a safeguarding issue.
Unacceptable reasons for absence from school-:
- Shopping trips
- Non urgent medical and dental appointments
Term-time Absence for holidays:
The Department for Education policy guidance to schools as of September 2013 is that holidays in term time should only be authorised if there are "exceptional" circumstances.
The school Headteacher will determine whether the circumstances are exceptional or not. Please note that there is no automatic right to take a holiday in term time.
Should you feel that you have “exceptional” reasons for applying, please contact your child’s school at the earliest opportunity and use the appropriate school form. Whilst the cost of a holiday might be an issue it is not considered to be sufficient to be an exceptional reason.
Please be aware that unauthorised holiday absence of 5 days or more can now result in the issuing of a Penalty Notice which carries a fine of £60 or if not paid after 21 days the fine is doubled to £120 and court prosecution if unpaid after 28 days. Penalty Notices are served per parent per child.
This information is taken from Wokingham Borough Council's website, correct as at time of publishing.